Natural lighting in your kitchen goes beyond creating a brighter kitchen. It can offer many psychological benefits that make your kitchen a cozier room to be in. Many people consider their kitchen the heart of their home, so why not make it better with a great kitchen renovation project? If you want to know how to maximize natural lighting in your kitchen, make sure to read this guide to the end!
What Are the Benefits of Natural Lighting in Your Kitchen?
Even though artificial light has come a long way, it doesn’t beat what natural light has to offer. Unfortunately, we’ve become too dependent on artificial light fixtures, and some of them are detrimental to our health.
Thankfully, you can make a few adjustments to your kitchen and get the full benefits of natural lighting. Let’s look at some of the benefits:
- More Vitamin D: Exposure to daylight can give us Vitamin D, which is key in bone development and in preventing depression, obesity, and other health complications.
- More Productivity: Natural light has been linked to many psychological benefits, including better focus and efficiency. Getting natural lighting in your kitchen can make you more productive while cooking or preparing something important.
- Better Management of Your Body Clock: We should always take care of our circadian rhythms. They help us regulate our bodies and promote better functionality in digestion, cell regeneration, and other processes. When we’re exposed to sunlight, we’re telling our bodies to “reset the body clock” until the sun sets, which prepares us for rest periods. Even though this may not be directly linked to your kitchen, sunlight exposure can help you stay awake while you’re there.
- Energy Efficiency: We don’t have to spend money on natural light, so getting it for our kitchen can also result in plenty of energy savings.
- Psychological Wellbeing: Being in the dark all the time can make us feel anxious, depressed, or upset. Getting enough natural light, on the other hand, can help us feel less agitated during the day.
- Mold Prevention: Natural light does a great job of keeping mold in check. Mold is known for thriving in the dark, so if you expose your kitchen to enough sunlight, you can prevent spores from overwhelming your space.
How to Maximize Natural Lighting in Your Kitchen
Here are some tips that will help you in maximizing natural lighting in your kitchen and get the results you want:
Be Strategic with Your Window Placement
Window placement is crucial in any kitchen remodeling project. Even if you don’t want to get rid of your existing windows, consider removing elements like curtains or blinds, as they prevent natural light from coming in.
You can get light-colored curtains too. They still do a great job of covering your windows, and they’re light enough to allow some sunlight in.
Go for Neutral or All-White Color Schemes
Neutral colors make rooms look bigger and brighter. If you want to go for the ultimate result, consider all-white color schemes, as they suit any kitchen setting and will help reflect natural light much better.
Consider Glass-fronted Cabinets
Installing glass-fronted cabinets allows you to get more reflective surfaces in your kitchen, which allows more light to pass through.
Glass in your cabinets is also a great way to showcase your kitchen items and to improve accessibility in certain spaces.
Install a Skylight
Skylights do an outstanding job of bringing natural light from above, which helps to brighten up any space. These renovations can make your kitchen shine even in its darkest corners.
Unfortunately, installing a skylight can be expensive, depending on what you want. If you have the money, however, this can be an amazing idea to make your kitchen look brighter, bigger, and better.
You may also consider solar tubes as an alternative. They’re less invasive than a skylight and are easier to install.
Install Reflective Surfaces
As mentioned previously, reflective surfaces do a great job of reflecting light. If you get glass tiles or mirrored backsplashes, you can make your kitchen look much brighter. Moreover, reflective surfaces make your kitchen look more elegant, so you’re getting more benefits than just a brighter space!
Leave the Back Door Open
Don’t know how to maximize natural lighting in your kitchen without spending too much money? If you have a back door, you could replace it with a glass door. Most doors have a big surface area, meaning they can let a lot of natural light come into your home.
You can get a glass door to maximize lighting, or if you have pets or children, you could keep the bottom half of the door in wood and the upper half in glass.
Use the Light of an Adjacent Room
Some homes get a lot of natural light in dining rooms or living rooms, leaving the kitchen dark and gloomy. If you have the budget, you can remove the wall separating the kitchen and the adjacent room, letting its natural light come into the entire space.
If you don’t know how to maximize natural lighting in your kitchen without removing a wall (because it may be too much for some), you may replace the wall with a glass wall. It still does the job.
How Can a Professional Contractor Help?
Professional contractors ensure each step of your project is followed carefully. Whether you’re making a bathroom renovation or a full house renovation, you must take care of your design and drawing plans so that you get a result that lasts long. Even though lighting projects may not seem as complicated as others, they also need care. Creating poor lighting conditions will only make things worse.
At Paragon Builders, we specialize in creating custom homes that are beautiful and functional. Our team can help you if you’re thinking about other potential projects for your home too, including garage conversions, room additions, or accessories housing units.
On the other hand, if you want to start small with a lighting project but don’t know how to maximize natural lighting in your kitchen, don’t worry. We can help you throughout every step of the process.
The Bottom Line of Maximizing Natural Lighting in Your Kitchen
Now that you know how to maximize natural lighting in your kitchen, it’s time to choose the perfect products/fixtures to get started!
If you want some guidance down the road, don’t hesitate to contact our team at Paragon Builders, especially if you don’t know how to maximize natural lighting in your kitchen correctly or don’t want to waste time.
Our years of experience and quality materials ensure you get the perfect lighting to set the mood in any room at home! Contact us today!